G Henslee

Curly Sue wrote:
I am watching some workers put a brick veneer on a two-story building.
The underneath (sheathing?) is what looks like plywood. Then there is
black paper stapled to it. Then the wall is going up, a single layer
of brick against the paper.

My question is- is a single layer of brick on the outside of a
building going to stay up? Do they lean it into the building?

I know there are multi-story brick buildings, but I guess I've never
seen one being constructed so I never thought about it. For some
reason I thought there would be some sort of bonding to the underlying
material.

Just curious :

Sue(tm)

What you're not seeing (probably) is the brick ties they 'should' be
installing in the courses. They're nailed to the wall and are mortared
into the mortar joints.