Greg O

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 30-year-old Honeywell electronic air cleaner stopped working. The
repair man highly suggested that I remove the cells and replace them
with pleated air filters (4"). I did this, but am wondering if it was
a good move or not. The repairman insisted that the pleated media
filter would do a much better job than the electronic unit did,
especially good for keeping dust out of the central A/C.

Should I feel good about the change? Will the new filter catch the
ultra-fine particulate matter that an electronic cleaner claims to?

Thanks!

I do HVAC service for a living. I have yet to see someone service an
electronic air filter often as they needed to. Once the electronic elements
get dirty the filter does nothing. When in use, cooling or heating season,
electronic filters need cleaning at least once a month to do the job. A
pleated filter in place of the electronic elements is a very good idea.
When I notice that a customer has an electronic filter I ask them how often
they clean it. Most are surprised that once or twice a year is not enough!
Greg