Tony Hwang

Joseph Meehan wrote:

wrote:

My 30-year-old Honeywell electronic air cleaner stopped working. The
repair man highly suggested that I remove the cells and replace them
with pleated air filters (4"). I did this, but am wondering if it was
a good move or not. The repairman insisted that the pleated media
filter would do a much better job than the electronic unit did,
especially good for keeping dust out of the central A/C.

Define better. Assuming the pleated filter does not produce too much
air resistance and reduce the air flow too much, it should do a very good
job of normal air cleaning, maybe better than your old one in some ways.

Should I feel good about the change? Will the new filter catch the
ultra-fine particulate matter that an electronic cleaner claims to?

Depends. However I have to ask. Does it matter to you? Really. There
are many products on the market that arguably better than others but often
cost more or are less reliable or have some other disadvantage. You need to
weigh the advantages against the disadvantages. Do you really have a
problem caused by those ultra fine particles? It brings to mind the
commercials about the "lurking" germs in the bathroom air. According to all
the independent information I have found, yes there are germs in the air in
the bath, but no more than in the kitchen. They are not a problem, except
in the extreme case.

Thanks!

Hi,
One thing air, flow rate will be less with filter.
Tony