RP

HeatMan wrote:
"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
news:0rKue.5918$dN.20@trnddc04...

"cowboy" wrote in message

No you are wrong. NOTHING should go into a closed system but the proper
refrigerant and oil. on a burnout if it is bad enough you do drier
changes to
clean it up. I don't know where you are getting this wrong info but you
really should talk to someone who knows what they are doing.

look, Beavis, the system is NOT closed while you are servicing it, you

are

putting in a new compressor, that is one end of the condenser open.

you should also be installing a new inline filter/dryer, so you would

have

the other end of the condenser open

now you flush the isolated condenser, while it is open, replace the oil
that was in the coil, and then install your new filter/dryer &

compressor

flushing the indoor coil or works exactly the same, and kwik-solv even

has

a wonderful pleasant scent to make your customer happy

the fact that you "HVAC techs" seemed to have missed the first day of

tech

school is really scary for the homeowners out there.

do you want them to have to replace a compressor every 2-4 years, just

so

you can make a boat payment?

PLEASE do your customers a favor, buy a book, and learn what you are
doing, it is the right thing to do!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/1590702840

if you can't afford the newest edition book, you can get an older

edition,

for much less (basic HVAC 101 doesn't change that much, except for new
refrigerants and a couple other things, so a 5-10 year old book is fine
for theory and procedures)

Another a-hole that thinks he knows what he is talking about....

*PLONK*

(into the kill-file bin you go)

Plonk him all you want, but be sure to keep an eye out for the bad
information he likes to give out.

I did an extensive Google search on burnout procedure. On the flushing
issue I found only two or three guys talking about flushing lines; one
was using propane, on n-heptane, and the other isopentane. The last
sounded very much like cowboy, same rant, almost word for word. Article
from the sci.engr.heat-vent-ac archives:
_____________________

The Best burnout cleanup procedure used to be to "power flush" everything
with R11 to get out all bad oil from the lines, etc, then install
new compressor. Today some
people use isopentane (same BP as R11, around 77F), but that
is extremely flammable so precautions must be taken. Other nonflammable
solvents are starting to emerge now.

Except me! Flushing the system is only good for high velocity
areas. I use the filter clean up method and never had a re-burn.
However, I do replace items such as oil seps and accumulators.

There are local technicians who dont believe in proper burnout
cleanup, and they use "new compressors" to clean up previous
burnouts.. The new compressors last 3 or 4 months and burnout
again.. I have seen this go on for 12 or 13 compressors, at which
time they declare the system was poorly designed and replace
the whole system at tens of thousands of $$$.. Good job security.
In the 20 or so compressors I have changed (R11 or isopentane flush),
none has since failed.

They're not Technicians George, those are ambitious laborers. They
make ordinary people like you and me look good. We need them!
_______________________

This is 9 or 10 years old. George Goble hails from Purdue, and the other
poster is Marc O'Brien.
Old George sure resembles cowboy's remarks.

I wonder how long ago it was that cowboy learned to flush systems? I was
taught the same 20 odd years ago. We used R-11. Those days are long gone
and cowboy should really get himself up to date on the destruction that
he's trying to do to our environment
There is a burnout kit that you can get for speedier results, it
consists of a canister type assembly in which an aluminized desiccant is
installed. A standard core can be installed and left in it permanently
when the job is done, or the canister can be taken back out of the
suction line.

hvacrmedic