Jmagerl

I believe that Ford Motor bought Philco when they made car radios and
morphed it into their electronics group.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
anews.com...
Philips shavers have always been known in the US as Norelco, in Canada
and
the rest of the world they were called Philipshave. I read many years ago
that Philips could not use the Philips name because there already was a
Philips electronic company operating in the US, they sold under the name
of
Philco.

That's interesting. Philco met its demise probably 25+ years ago, but
about three years ago I saw the name used on TV sets sold by K Mart.
Frigidaire makes air conditioners under many names and they also made some
under the Philco label, but I don't know who was selling them.

Phillips has had a pretty good reputation in recent years for electronics.
Given the time difference between the loss of Philco and the newer
Phillips, I've never confused them so I guess the strategy worked.