G Henslee

djay wrote:
All,

I was out talking to my neighbor tonight (he's a concrete contractor) about
painting my stucco. I told him I was going to "paint" the stucco the same
color etc. He asked me, "why don't you just fog it?" He says that
"fogging" is just using the colorant to "stain" the existing stucco. We
looked over the house and I think (he agrees) that I just need a corner or
two touched up before painting/staining. The rest of the house is in "very
good" stucco condition. But I'm perplexed.

Until tonight I'd never heard of just spraying the colorant over the stucco.
Have any of you heard of this? Tried it? What is your experience. He
claims that once you paint the stucco that it will forever require
additional paint, but that the colorant just stains the existing stucco and
actually you can change the color every few years if you want.

I will say that he just did his house and it looks great. Again have any of
you had experience with this?????????

Thanks,

DJay

It's generally called a "dash coat" and it's the final application in a
traditional 3 coat stucco job. If the walls have been painted, the
dasher will have to apply Weldcrete or other bonderizer prior to
spraying the dash. Dash is nice. It fills the cracks also. It's
available in bags at stucco supply outlets.

You can do this yourself with a hand held hopper. One of these.
http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/Wal...s.php#aWB56020

But it's a ton of work like that and will take some time and a helper or
two. Plus you'll need to cover all the shrubs, bushes, etc. Most folks
hire a plasterer who arrives with crew, cover material, and a dash
machine which is a larger hopper for mixing the dash and incorporates
spray hoses and wands.