CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Bud wrote:
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

The GFCI in my bathroom has always made a very slight humming noise.
None of the others make this noise. It seems to work and the Test
button works. Should I replace it anyway? ever heard of this?

Good chance it is the transformer for it's power supply. Same as
flourescent ballasts, the 60 Hz changing magnetic field can cause
physical movement which you hear. If this is the source and it is not a
nuisance, it can be ignored. If it is loud enough it is a defect and
could probably be replaced under warranty.

Bud--

Yes, thats probably it. I remember one time brushing my teeth in the
shower and wondering if I brushed at 60Hz because so many external
sounds were 60Hz. I wonder what speed eurpoeans brush at?

Anyway, its a 3 year old house, and its been humming since I got there
1.5 years ago. Everything seems to work, and there is usually no load
on the circuit. It hums regardless of load though.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert