siralfred

As a home improvement contractor who started from scratch just a few
years ago, I'll agree that you need to do your homework. Since you're
narrowing your service down to decks/carpentry it shouldn't be too hard
to find out about supply costs and labor/man hours required for
different jobs. Home Depot sells a contactor's guide to construction.
It has tables for all kinds of work and adjustments for locality.
Whatever you charge, you won't get everything you bid on and some
people will always think you're overpriced, while others find you to be
a bargain Just as there are bad contractors, there are bad clients too
- don't expect to be able to please everyone. "Selling yourself" IS
more important than pricing. I've won jobs where I had the highest bid
(by as much as 25%) simply because I also won the clients trust and
respect. Be honest, know what you're talking about and don't make any
outlandish promises.