RP

cowboy wrote:
1. Does the whole outside unit need to be replaced? Why not just the
compressor. What are the risks of doing that?

the compressor is likely to be the most that is needed to be replaced, if
you truly need a compressor, the problem is finding someone competent to do
it:

Could be. So you put in a new compressor and the reversing valve is bad,
what then?
The owner should have been made aware that there could be additional
problems that cannot be diagnosed until a running compressor is
installed, problems that could easily run the price up to more than the
cost of a new unit. This is the most likely reason, that and the age of
the unit, that the company recommended a new condensing unit.

someone who will flush the system with solvent

Get the **** outta here!

someone who will install a desicant filter/dryer inline to protect the new
compressor

Standard practice.

someone who will pull a hard vacuum for a couple of hours to dry the system
out, so that the new compressor will last 10-20 years
someone whose vacuum pump has recently had it's oil changed, so that it is
capable of a low micron vacuum
someone who knows that weighing in the freon chearge is the only true way to
get the level precisely correct

Incorrect. On a split system the factory charge is just supposed to be
close to correct. You'll find in the installation guide (that comes with
every new unit) instructions for setting the charge. On a package unit
there are no field installed dryers or line sets to take into account,
and thus usually no need to adjust the charge. If OTOH the you change
the blower speed from its factory setting you should adjust the
refrigerant charge.

2. If I replace the whole outside unit should some of the inside unit
be replaced too?

No

That depends upon whether the new outside unit is properly matched to
the inside components.

3. Do I need to stay with Rheem or can I go with another brand without
replacing the whole air handler unit? Recommendations on manufacturer?

any brand will do for an entire new unit, but unnecessary, replacement
compressor is likely the most you need, and a good chance you don't even
need that

Can I borrow your crystal ball sometime?

your original compressor was likely made by Copeland
probably similar to this one:
Copeland ZR34K3-PFV-930
wholesale cost: $350

4. Should the air handler also be replaced? I run the fan constantly
to keep the temperature even and make use of the filter to eliminate
pollen in the house.

No

Additional details: First couple of compressors did not last very long
~1 -2 years, but the current one has been around for 9-10 years.

how long a compressor lasts in almost 100% dependent on whether the
technician does the things I mentioned above, your first two were installed
by idiots, most likely, the one that lasted 9-10 years, by a more competent
technician.

if the only problem is that it starts sometimes and sometimes doesn't,

Where did you get this info?

there
is a good chance that nothing more than an evac/recharge (using a scale) and
a new capacitor ($8) is all you really need

An off chance, probably slim to none.

hvacrmedic