badgolferman

Default pool shutoff valve replacement

I bought an Aqua Leisure 18'x4' soft-sided pool last week from Sam's
Warehouse. The pool is set up and holding 5,600 gallons of water. One
of the shutoff valves is leaking from inside the housing and dripping
out through the handle area. The valve housing screws onto a second
piece that goes through the wall into the pool and has a plastic
strainer on the inside pool wall. The manufacturer is supposed to send
me a replacement but the representative had no instructions on how to
replace it without having water gushing out all over the place.

My thoughts are that since only the valve portion seems to be bad I
don't have to replace the entire assembly that extends into the pool
but to just unscrew the outside portion and attach the replacement
valve in its place. How to stop the water is the main issue. Would a
plastic bag put over the inside opening hold the water long enough for
me to replace the valve or perhaps unscrewing the strainer and stuffing
a rag into the hole be better?

--
No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.