SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
We just bought a nice home that was lived in by heavy somkers.

We'd like to try our best to remove the smoke smell.

So far we've arranged to have the carpets steam cleaned and
de-odorized.

We're going to wash the walls and floors and cabinets. Any tips?

The ceilings are textured (1970's sharp and pointy) any tips on
cleaning the ceiling?

Next we're going to paint. Any tips on the primer? Killz? I heard
adding vanilla to the paint helps too.

Thanks fellow DIYers.

JaKe
Seattle

Lots of fresh air when doing the work. Open the house up as much as
possible. Use fans to force air into the house. Better if there is a crawl
space access inside, put a fan in the attic and open a couple of windows on
the other side of the home. ( ye ole house ventilator trick, blow the fan
into the attic )

Clean the HVAC system if there is one. If the duct work is not long you can
do it yourself. I used a extending painting pole and a lot of bleach and
orange clean. Took me 2 days, for me the time is cheap. Call a pro for a
price. Immediately change the a/c filter.

I find if your not going to remove the "popcorn" then spray it. Works better
than a roller for painting. Rollers get to heavy and can knock off the
texture.
If you spray it plan on 3 light coats. If it looks good in 2 then they were
not to bad.

I agree on the carpet, ditch it.