Default Frost Free Freezer Behaviour

In article , (Tim
Mitchell) wrote:

In article , BigWallop
writes

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
Slightly OT perhaps, but my newish ( 6 months ) BEKO frost-free
fridge/freezer is displaying weird behaviour. Twice in the last 10

days the
freezer compartment, which should be at -18C or so has heated up to
about -2C ( top basket ).

In fact, the very top tray, for ice cubes has risen in

temperature
to the point where the ice cubes melted. I think the temperature at

the
bottom of the freezer was more like -5C. Nothing would motivate the

freezer
refrigerate properly, but after a day it went back to normal.

I'm thinking of calling the service engineer out, but does

anyone
know if this behaviour is in someway related to normal operation for
frost-free freezers? I find it hard to believe, since ice-cream went

all
soft and developed ice-crystals when it refroze, also things like

burgers go
floppy.
I can't believe this is right, anyone with any knowledge otherwise

out
there?

A frost free unit actually cycles through a warming period to allow

any build up of
ice on the freezer plate to fall off. So this behaviour is normal for
these units.

What??? Defrosting the contents? That is not normal. The main
frost-free mechanism is a fan which circulates the air and stops the
ice crystals forming.

It has a heater inside as well to actually melt the ice (or at least my
Whirlpool has, and also a Hotpoint one that I've seen.

You need to get someone to look at it. Also I would take care with
eating the things which have been defrosted lest you get food poisoning.

--
Tim Mitchell

Roger
(my reader sometimes loses mail/newsgroup messages
- if you think you should have had a reply/comment,
please e-mail me again. Ta!)