Stretch wrote:

...Is it actually available and how much does it cost?

The Smart Vent? It seems to be available, at $365.

Is it cheaper to operate than a dehumidifier

Smart Vent says $8/year. BTW, all this was in my last posting.

and what is the payback period?

Compared to what?

Due to outside RH levels here in Myrtle Beach, SC I duobt that it would be
effective here, but it may work very well in other climates.

They say it works in Florida and Hawaii... NREL's Wilmington NC
weather station has these long-term averages:

Daily min/avg/max humidity ratio deep ground: 63.4 F

Apr 50.5/62.3/74.0 F 0.0080 w
May 59.3/70.1/80.8 0.0114
Jun 67.5/76.5/85.4 0.0147
Jul 71.7/80.1/88.5 0.0168
Aug 71.0/79.4/87.6 0.0167
Sep 65.3/75.3/85.2 0.0142
Oct 53.7/65.3/76.9 0.0099

Smart Vents seem very programmable. They mention 25 different control
algorithms. Ventilating with outdoor air (warmer in winter and cooler in
summer) at times when its humidity ratio is less than the hr of indoor air
seems energy-efficeint, but I suspect that can be improved, in a fairly
airtight house that can store heat and moisture.

In a house like that, with air conditioning, it seems more energy-efficient
to circulate air between the basement floor and the living space than to
exhaust basement air. Surrounded by RH% air, concrete stores about RH/20 %
moisture content by weight, with little dependence on the air temperature.

A 4"x1000ft^2 50K pound basement floor with 8K Btu/F of thermal capacitance
(or more, with no insulation below) can slowly store 500 pints of water as
the RH of the basement air rises from 40 to 60%. The ground below might have
an effective R10 thermal resistance.

If we keep a basement RH 60% all year, the moisture content of the concrete
won't change much. Maybe it's more energy-efficient to easily lower the RH
of the basement air by warming it with dry house air in wintertime to drive
moisture out of the concrete so it can absorb more moisture in summertime.

Nick