Subject: Suction in retard, Liquid at 175.
Hmmm my guess... OP, those reading were taken with the unit not
running... and if it has pure R-22 in it, the temperature of the
equipment that day was about 95F, is that right?

Got that info from the "vapor pressure scale" on my gauge set.

c From: "cowboy"
c there is no other way to accurately determine the correct charge,
c other than weighing it in, no matter what any contractor might
c incorrectly tell you.

BTW, looking in at the label that came with my system... they left
the "total charge" area blank! :/ The system was sold without the
evaporator which varied with what would fit into my furnace?
I guess.

Actually there is a way to check the charge properly. depending on
the metering device superheat or subcoooling. weighing the charge
in is a start but you should always check with the proper method
above to insure that you are correct.

Yeah cowboy, what HvacTech2 said. :/

I'm still in the process of getting a handle on this super-heating
and sub-cooling thing myself. It's kind of tricky but is "the way"
the engineers figured out what the charge weight should be to start
with. First things first. Know what I mean, Verne?

snip
Alvin in AZ
ps- where you at cowboy?

Hey cowboy, I think I've got a handle on it now but while reading
different sources they have different temperature ranges as to being
the "best". Still learning.

This is my guess at this time...

For capillary tube type metering use the "super heat" readings.
For those with expansion valves use the "sub cooling" readings.

Ok, so you got it up and running with your gauges on it etc.
If it's R-22 with capillary metering look at the low side and read
off the number on the R-22 vapor pressure scale. Subtract that
number from the actual temperature of the suction line (at the
compressor). That's the "super heat" reading.

Using that information and looking at the table that came with my
cap-tubed Rheem they want ~20F of super heat.

Ok, so again you got it up and running with your gauges on it etc.
This time it's R-12 with an expansion valve metering, look at the
high side and read the R-12 vapor pressure scale number and subtract
that number from the actual temeperature of the condenser's exit
line (can be read at either end). That's your "sub cooling"
reading.

Ok, at least that's my understanding so far.
What I want to know is how close to right is that?

Hey! I've only been working on this for a friggin week. :/

I don't really know **** about it. :/

HvacTech2?

What have I got wrong there?

Alvin in AZ