William Brown

MattMika wrote:

One of my neighbors has a giant maple tree overhanging my side yard. At 72
years young, I still mow my own grass. I keep my own trees trimmed so I
don't have to do the duck & weave while mowing. I asked my neighbor if he
would mind if I trimmed his tree because of the obstacle it creates. It's
not like I'm going to be climbing on a ladder to trim this thing, but just
so it doesn't smack my glasses off. The young man let go with some four
letter words, with finishing he will sue me if I touch his tree. What
happened to the country we used to live in? Do I have to put up with this?

I have a similar situation except I'm on the other side. I have a
giant Elm tree that has a few large branches hanging into the
neighbors yard, crowding his power service line.

Last year he came and asked me to trim the tree and my Lilacs that
were pushing through the fence. I gladly went and trimmed the lilacs
back and disposed of the cuttings, but then his tone started to get to
me and I decided not to trim the tree. He wasnt necessarily rude, but
I could tell he was frustrated and all worked up. Once I thought about
it a bit I thought '**** him, trim it yourself." Why should I have to
care for his property, especially when his yard is littered with dog
**** and stinks.

Just the other day someone comes slamming on my door guess who. He had
the same tone, I could tell he was all worked up but still trying to
be polite. He asked if it was OK to trim the tree back and put the
cuttings in my yard. I said fine, but informed him that public service
had left me a notice and was scheduled to trim the Elm back from the
power lines in the next week or two. I also mentioned that it might be
illegal to do so, not to mention dangerous.

Once again his undertone was ****ing me off and the pounding on my
door while not using the doorbell really drove it home.

Whats everyone opinion on this situation? Should I just swallow my
pride and go over and cut the limbs up to the 8ft(the only code I
could fine online regarding trees in passageways) or should I let him
worry about it?

Thanks,

Matt

Its your tree that is threatening to damage his property. While laws
vary from place to place, were he injured trying to protect his property
from damage by your tree, I would rather have his case than yours. I
think you should get over your emotional reaction to his tone of voice
and work with him to safely resolve the problem.

Around here, the utilities just trim the trees threatening their lines,
not the drops from their line to your service. However, if you contact
them and ask a favor, they will always (in my experience) go beyond what
they "have" to do, and trim branches that threaten the drop line.