HeatMan

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to
reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings

for
a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet that
you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow.
Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can
damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am
wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just

leaving
well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next to the
furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. --- Steve

Piece of cake.

IF the gas valve fails to close one day (and it's under warranty), you'll
gripe and moan about inferior products and replace the gas valve. When the
manufacturer of the GV takes it apart and finds bits of Teflon tape in the
valve, he'll deny the claim.

After the warranty period? The burner may never shut off OR the gas may
sputter and not get lit by the pilot until one day... BOOM.

Your life.

Most directions say not to use Teflon tape. Who needs directions anyway?