Greetings,

When I ask a building inspector they generally just tell me a specific
way to do it. The way "suggested" by the inspector way might not be
the best way for my situation, might cost extra, might be extra work,
might reduce the overall quality of the job but after they tell me "do
it like this" then I am stuck. For instance, the inspector could say
"why don't you just put up furring strips" and then, even if there were
many other "legal" "better" options I would appear to be arguing with
him to do otherwise. I want to come to the building inspector with a
sound, code complete plan which works and doesn't have holes. The
inspector will then approve my plan or site the local code I am
violating and I will modify accordingly.

The only people I ever criticize here are naysayers. If I say, "How do
I do XYZ" and someone says "Call a pro." or "You can't." but doesn't
explain to give further depth of understanding then yes, I might
criticize them. If someone says "you're too dumb to do that job" or
"no one that uses the Internet could ever help" then I will definitely
say something in response. I have successfully completed every job I
have ever asked about on alt.home.repair. So yes, I probably can and
will do that job. I might change my plans or methods based on input
from alt.home.repair and elsewhere -- but the job is going to get done.
(PS: I am very happy to know that I can't do XYZ if someone says why.
I am especially happy to know if they site specifically why and give a
reference. If someone JUST says "you can't" for all I know they are
wrong and my knowledge of the situation has not been increased.)

There are many people on alt.home.repair who I have found to be very
very helpful. A Mr. Miller and several others come to mind (don't want
to list because I am sure I will leave someone good out). Some people
are also hit and miss. I enjoy reading their thoughts even if I don't
always agree with them. It is nice to get a second opinion. It is
even nice to have a better understanding of common misconceptions.

Hope this helps,
William