Ross Payne

Thanks for your responses. I think the smell is roofing cement, rather than
new vinyl, and the roofing cement is in fact on the inside of the skylight
where it contacts the flange. The roofer came out and looked, and said that
they put the roofing cement there as a leak precaution, and that the smell
should go away in a day or two. Well, they did it Saturday--two days
ago--and it still seems strong to me, especially when the sun is beating
down on the roof.

Ross
"Goedjn" wrote in message

As part of the work, they replaced a skylight. In the room where the
skylight is, there is a smell of roofing cement. Actually, the smell

travels
throughout the house because it gets picked up in the air conditioning
system, but is strongest near the skylight and especially in the heat of

the
day.

Unless the skylight is open, nothing that they put on the outside
ought to be affecting the air on the inside. (if it does, you're
going to have an interesting heating season....)

So there has to be sealer, or tar, or something, on the
INSIDE of the window, unless you're just confusing the
smell of new vinyl, with that of cement. If it's the
latter, it will stop eventually. Grab a chunk of PVC
pipe, and cut it with a fine-toothed saw or file.
Is the smell anything like that?

--Goedjn