BigWallop

Default Frost Free Freezer Behaviour

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
Slightly OT perhaps, but my newish ( 6 months ) BEKO frost-free
fridge/freezer is displaying weird behaviour. Twice in the last 10 days the
freezer compartment, which should be at -18C or so has heated up to
about -2C ( top basket ).

In fact, the very top tray, for ice cubes has risen in temperature
to the point where the ice cubes melted. I think the temperature at the
bottom of the freezer was more like -5C. Nothing would motivate the freezer
refrigerate properly, but after a day it went back to normal.

I'm thinking of calling the service engineer out, but does anyone
know if this behaviour is in someway related to normal operation for
frost-free freezers? I find it hard to believe, since ice-cream went all
soft and developed ice-crystals when it refroze, also things like burgers go
floppy.
I can't believe this is right, anyone with any knowledge otherwise out
there?

cheers,

Andy.

A frost free unit actually cycles through a warming period to allow any build up of
ice on the freezer plate to fall off. So this behaviour is normal for these units.
You may be noticing it more in warmer weather and at higher temperatures within the
room the unit stands in. It might be a good idea to pull the unit slightly further
away from the wall it's against to allow more air to circulate around it. Not to far,
just another inch or so (20 to 25mm for all you young ones).

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com