John Willis

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:23:14 GMT, "Ross Payne"
scribbled this interesting note:

I went up on the roof to take a look, and noticed that there is roofing
cement on the place where the skylight fits onto the sheathing/frame. In
other words, they put roofing cement on the plastic itself where it contacts
the metal sheathing/frame. The skylight seems to be nailed in properly, and
nothing leaks.

It is good that nothing leaks...

I assume that the sun is heating up the roofing cement and the smell is
coming downward from the skylight. Which leads me to my two questions:

First, is putting roofing cement where they put it, as I described above,
the right thing to do?

Without seeing the skylight in question, I'll hazard an answer...in
short, NO.

Though I have no experience here I would think that
nailing it in is enough, and that putting roofing cement where they did
would make it difficult to remove the plastic if ever necessary. Second,
will this smell go away over time?

I don't know how your skylight is designed. There are a few different
variations. In none of the ones I'm familiar with should you ever have
the smell of roof cement come inside the house. Something is
non-standard with the installation and if I were you, and was
unfamiliar with how to do this kind of work, I'd call in another,
better qualified individual who could get an eyeball on it and give
you some on-site guidance.

http://www.google.com/search?q=skyli...=&start=0&sa=N
for a number of different kinds of skylight installation
instructions...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)