Peter

Default Query: Legality of Electrical work

Hi
Many good points.
Just to clarify - I do consider myself pretty competent and have done three
total rewires incl designing the circutry and putting in the consumer units
but had them tested and certified before going live!!

My main concern is what do insurance companies think of diy and their
attitude when something goes wrong as it inevitably must if many people
alter electrical systems.

Putting in the odd socket may be alright - or is it? what happens if there
is a problem?

It is often difficult to get an electrician to do a simple job as one
socket. Are electricians that do small jobs such as this fully certified and
have insurance? Should people ensure that they do?

Is it time to bring in a similar scheme to the gas CORGI?

regards
Peter

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi
I know that electrical work should be carried out by a "competent person"
and I count myself as being competent though I am not a qualified
electrician
.
However how would an insurance company treat work carried out in my home

by
myself?
If there was a fire or person electrocuted even if not directly from the
work that I had done but would the fact that I had done some work count
against me? Would the insurance company still cover a claim?

What about doing some work for a friend - putting in an extra socket,
unpaid. I would be concerned that if he had an electrical fault unrelated

the socket that I had put in his insurance company would refuse to

consider
a claim because I had made an alteration.

How do insurance companies treat DIY for yourself or a friend?

Regards
Peter

Hi
Many good points, many thanks.