jeffc

"SHIRLEEN HOM" wrote in message
news:C5ate.24877$L65.20715@trnddc05...
In my dinning room I have two 3-way switches that control the light. I
replaced one of the 3-way switches with a 3-way dimmer (GE push on/off).
After connecting everything, the dimmer acts as a "master" switch. If the
dimmer switch is on, the other 3-way switch can turn the light on or off.
If the dimmer switch is off, the other 3-way switch has no affect and the
light stays off.

Is this how it is supposed to work?

No, you wired it wrong. What kind of dimmer is it? The last one I
installed had instructions and a picture. The instructions said one way,
the picture showed a different way. One was correct, the other was like you
described.