Joseph Meehan

SHIRLEEN HOM wrote:
In my dinning room I have two 3-way switches that control the light. I
replaced one of the 3-way switches with a 3-way dimmer (GE push
on/off). After connecting everything, the dimmer acts as a "master"
switch. If the dimmer switch is on, the other 3-way switch can turn
the light on or off. If the dimmer switch is off, the other 3-way
switch has no affect and the light stays off.

Is this how it is supposed to work? Or did I wire something
incorrectly?

I have seen more than one version of that kind of switch and they don't
use the same wiring pattern. You will need to consult the instructions that
came with the switch. Note: some require their own second switch for fully
function.

The dimmer has four wires grouped in two's. A black/red pair and a
black/green pair. I identified the hot wire in the box and connected
it to the black wire of the black/red pair. I then connected the red
and other black wire to the remaining two wires in the box without
identifying them. The green wire was then connected to the ground.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Rich

--
Joseph Meehan