On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:50:47 GMT, "World Traveler"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
All,

Thanks for the info i'm about to recieve.. This group always gives the
best advice....

I'm getting ready to become a new home owner (1st time). This
house is on a 1acre lot with a view in the country... The lawn is
semi hills (Rolling). More in the front than rear.. However a Grade of
8-10%.. So a powerfull mower is a given. The driveway is 150' long
gravel..

I read over the consumer reports for the riding mowers and the
john deere L111 was the top choice..

I was thinking more on the L118 with a bagger...

The maintance plan seems reasonable...

cost/budget.. $3000 US..

1800.. mower
250.. Bagger
500.. Maintaince
400-500.. Buffer

Has anyone owned a deere that wants to share some info?

Thanks

Joe

I bought a JD lawn mower in the mid-90s; in '99 moved to a new house about
the size of yours and traded in the lawnmower for a garden tractor -- model
LT130, probably similar to the L118 -- the JD dealer gave me almost 100%
value of the mower as a trade-in. I've been operating the lawn tractor
mostly as a tractor, not a mower, ever since.

Shortly after buying the garden tractor I got a QC survey from John Deere,
asking for suggested improvements. My suggestions were for a fuel gage and
a cup holder. Both are on the newer Deeres, along with an hour meter to
keep track of time until maintenance.

Yes the hour meter is a GO/NOGO option.. Being ex-military all of our
vehicles have an hour meter.. Very handy for maintenance..

It always starts (unless the battery has reached the end of its life) and
I've had very few problems (one flat tire, mower drive belt came off pulley,
bracket holding mower in place backed off) in six years. My one remaining
"issue" with this machine is that it is very hard to take off and replace
the mower blades for sharpening -- but I haven't seen any other machine that
had a better arrangement. (OTOH, the blades are really heavy duty. My
neighbor has another brand, similar size, and has had the blades get twisted
and bent several times while mowing. The Deere mower blades have taken all
kinds of abuse without a problem.)

I second the motion to go with a mulching kit rather than bagging. Besides
the benefits to the lawn, it makes it quick and convenient to do the mowing,
because you never have to stop and empty the bag, and you're never
off-balance because of the weight of the accumulated clippings.

Ok.. I note the "mulch kit" with HD blades..

If this one ever gives up, I'll buy another Deere.

"Nothing stops a deere"...Noted...

Regards --

Thanks