DanG

The saw and the blade have nothing to do with it, assuming the
blade i s reasonably sharp.

The best thing would be to make an edge guide to clamp to the
doors. This requires more material and assembly. Read through
this article:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00035.asp

It can be done freehand depending on your skill. Mark where you
want to cut the door. Using a straightedge, cut through the
veneer with a fresh utility knife blade. Do not try to cut right
at this line, make sure you cut slightly longer than this line.
You only need to cut one side of the door as the blade will give
you a clean cut on the bottom, the problem is splinters coming up
in the top which get stopped by the knife cut. Make sure that the
bottom of your saw is not going to scratch the doors ( a layer of
masking tape on the saw's shoe will make sure). A few strokes
with a sanding block on a bevel and you are done.

The knife cut on the veneer is necessary with either method. The
bottom should be sealed with a coat of paint or varnish to prevent
the doors swelling from humidity. New doors' warranties are void
if this is not done.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Rob Mills" wrote in message
I have several interior hollow core doors to trim off after
installing new carpet and am wondering what would be the best
saw/blade combo to use. I'm thinking a worm drive with a 40 or 60
tooth blade but have no experience trimming doors so am looking
for someone who has "been there done that" before I butcher them
and get in hot water with the war dept.
Rob Mills ~