Stormin Mormon

Take it to the jewelry counter of a store, and ask their help. Some jewelry
folks have done a LOT of these kind of thing, and will have it adjusted for
you very soon.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Vanessa" wrote in message
oups.com...
How do we adjust a too-large stainless steel watch band? (It's not
obvious.)

I bought, at CostCo, the Wenger Swiss Military 200m water proof watch
for my teen-age son's birthday for about 30 dollars (as he wants to
learn how to scuba dive in Monterey Bay).

His thin wrist in no way fits this Wenger watch band, even wearing his
wetsuit, in so much as at least two links need to be removed from the
stainless steel watch band, one on each side. Instructions supplied
with the blister pack do not explain how to adjust the band (presumably
it's so simple that we should be able to figure it out by ourselves
using a butter knife)???

His new Wenger Swiss Military watch band has six links on each side,
with two (I'll guess they're called) pins holding them together. The
three lower links on each side each have a 2 mm arrow embossed into the
center of the backside of the plates (for whatever reason, I don't
know). My son suspects that arrow is telling us the direction in which
to remove the pins holding the links to the watch band.

Further evidence these six links are the remove-me links are the fact
that a pin of some sort can be seen on a side view of the Wenger watch
band for these "arrowed" links only.

Problem is - how do we remove those 'pins'? If we punch them out with
an incredibly small punch (the pins seem to be about a half millimeter
in diameter), won't we ruin them? I mean, what holds them in? Friction?
If it's friction, won't we need new pins when we punch out the old ones
(presumably stripping the heads)?

The other thing is these arrows are not symetrical in that they are
only lined up with one of the two pins per link (that is, there is only
one arrow per link and that arrow is under only one of the pins per the
link).

Am I missing something fundamental here?
What's the trick to removing and replacing two links in a steel watch
band?