Larry Bud

*early* NiCad batteries did have a 'memory effect'. If you're dealing
with batteries manufactured in the last 15 years (at least), it is a
_non-issue_, due to changes in battery design.

I don't buy that. They STILL have a memory effect, but perhaps over
many more cycles than once before.

The memory is due to crystals forming between the electrodes each time
the battery is discharges, recharged. They close the gap between the
electrods, thus reducing it's capacity.

I've renewed run down (and newer NiCad) batts for my cordless phone by
"shocking" them with 12V (they're 3.6v packs) for a second or two. The
crystals burn off.