KyMike

Default Tapers

I need a way to use 1/8" dia. straight shank cutters in a Gorton
pantograph engraver with a taper socket spindle. A ready made collet is
very expensive to buy new, so I was considering trying to make one from
drill rod. The problem is that oddball Gorton spindle taper. Is there
any simple, accurate way to set up to turn this without all the trial
and error? Is it even reasonable to attempt to do this without some
sort of precision grinding equipment? I'm not sure what the spindle
speeds are since the data plate with the information is missing and
they couldn't help at Gorton, other than to tell me the machine (a 3-F)
has not been made since the 1950's, but it takes almost a full minute
for it to come up to full speed and so I'm guessing it could be
somewhere around 15,000 rpm or more. Any advice appreciated.
Mike