jk

Dave Hinz wrote:

Or, you could just bid on the damn auction and not try to cheat the
seller out of getting the right price.

It is NOT cheating the seller, in the slightest. If he wanted to get
more, he has the option of a higher starting price, or a reserve
price. [I do think reserve prices are dishonest crap, and generally
wont bid on auctions with them]

The only reason to snipe is to
pay less than you would if you were honestly bidding for the item. You
want the item, and you want to pay as little as you can for it. By
lowering yourself to using a sniping product, you're cheating the other
bidders out of the chance to bid legitimately on the item.

I do not see any cheating here. I submit a legitimate bid at a
legitimate moment. I do not owe the seller a duty of giving him as
much money as possible.

And yet, you're using a shady tactic to bid without giving others a
chance to make their bids.

That's horse****, every one had a chance to make their bids, they
CHOOSE to snipe and perhaps miss. NO ONE can snipe you out of winning,
if you bid the maximum amount you are willing to spend, as early as
possible. And doing that you don't get caught up in the heat of the
moment, spending $40 for an item that retails for 39.

Here's a thought - decide what you want to pay for it, put in a reserve
bid, and wait for the email. If it's more than you wanted to pay, you
wn't get it. Everyone gets to decide how much it's worth, and the guy
who bids the most gets the item. Just like a real auction, where they
don't just say "OK, I know there's 20 people out there who would have
bid more than that, but it's 10:02:47 so the item goes to you".

I realize that I'm not going to change anyone's behavior, but again, I'd
pay extra to list items if they had a "late bids extend end time"
option.

jk