RicodJour

Greetings,

Do you have a pre-existing feud with this guy? Normally people don't
cuss at someone who politely asks to trim a tree crossing the property
line. Even if there is something you aren't telling us I am going to
help you out as best I can because you are on the alt.home.repair forum
and your neighbor isn't.

Here is how I would handle the problem. I would send my neighbor a
written request by certified mail to cut the grass under the tree on
your side of the yard since he "will sue you" if you "touch the tree."
I would allow the grass (only under the tree) to grow until it is
considered a nuisance according to the city regulations. Then your
other neighbor who you are on good terms with can complain to the city
and they can write you a citation. You can then go into court with the
citation and a copy of your letter and subpoena your neighbor. Explain
to the judge that you are unable to cut the grass under the tree any
longer, offered to trim the tree, and offered to allow your neighbor to
maintain the grass under the tree. What more could you do? The judge
my ask your neighbor to allow you to cut the tree, tell your neighbor
he has no right (if he doesn't) or even reassign the citation to your
neighbor since you would have cut he grass had the neighbor not scared
you out of it with all the cussing.

Hope this helps,
William

How is ****ing on the neighbor's shoes going to help things? It could
backfire as well. If such a letter was sent, and the neighbor agrees
to mow the lawn under the tree (already questionable character), Smitty
has now created a situation that is worse than before. He's given
permission for the neighbor to come onto his property on a regular
basis and maintain it.

Having to use a neighbor to collaborate against another neighbor,
having people subpoenaed and wasting time and money in the judicial
system is not the way to go about this...unless you want to inflame
things and **** everyone off and become the neighborhood pariah.