BigT

I built a new shop out back last summer and ran the electrical
underground.

I used "0" size direct burial copper cable. That size is good for
over 100 amps. I put a 100 amp breaker in the house panel. I put a
breaker panel in the shop that had space for 10 or 12 breakers (from
HD). I did not use conduit. Code here required 24" deep in the
ground for direct burial. I rented a ditcher from the local rental
place, worked great. I put each wall on a different circuit with a 20
amp gfci and added two 220 circuits for table saw and dust collector.
Lights were on a seperate circuit also. So far everyting is working
well. The "0" size cable cost almost $400.

Tom

On 6 Jul 2005 11:40:09 -0700, "bremen68"
wrote:

Howdy all. Looking for some info on running a power tap from my house
to the shop and garage.

I'm planning on running a 220 drop from the house box to the shop and
then on to the garage underground. Probably 25 feet between the house
and the shop, and then 40 or so to the garage.

What advise, hints, shortcuts, gauge wire, conduit suggestions do you
have?

I realize I'll probably have to run anything through my local inspector
before completing it. I'm in Pennsylvania.

If you happened to catch an earlier post of mine I have a 20" planner
and several other items that are gonna be needin power moving to my
place soon.

Thanks....