Owen Lawrence

Building a 12x16 shed. Need to raise the walls but too heavy to safely
lift and set in place on my own. Other than begging the neighbours, do
you have any recommendations or equipment suggestions to do this on my
own?

Seems like whenever I have to lift something extremely heavy, I would
rather 'finess' the item than have the help of others. Even moving heavy
machinery, if your helpers are not experienced somebody will get hurt.
I'm getting to be an old fart now and avoid the foolish lifting I used to
do when younger. I can't recount how many times I was moving something
with levers, rollers, rails, planks, etc., when one of my buddies would
suggest "why don't we simply pick up each end" ?. Yeah, back then, we
could each pick up about 300 lbs., and I can still do half of that today,
but, I have time and would rather move things by myself inch, by inch.
Takes longer, but much safer.

Last night on Daily Planet I saw this guy lifting huge concrete blocks
(19,000lbs+) by himself. It took awhile, but he teetered it back and forth,
using sticks to lever it higher and higher. He could also spin them easily
just by tipping them into a small stone. He's building his own backyard
Stonehenge. Patience can be a very effective tool. Plus, think of the
bragging rights when it's all done!

- Owen -