Larry Jaques

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 05:56:14 GMT, the opaque Gunner
clearly wrote:

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:57:43 -0500, Greg Postma
wrote:

My Mother in law has been under the weather the past couple of weeks, so
SWMBO and I have been spending a lot of time with her in the hospital
and her husband (at home). The FIL is starting to lose his faculties, so
we have to check up on him daily, make sure he gets enough nourishment
and generally make sure he takes his meds and bathes once in a while. I
often sit with him and "relive" his past. This past weekend, he told me

I had the chance/pleasure/honor to do that with both my father and
grandmother before they died and it was wonderful.

--snip--
As I was marveling over my good fortune, he dragged me over the the
other side of the basement and uncovered a set of shelves with a great
collection of wooden hand planes, chisels and funny little tools that I
still have to figure out. It seems that my MIL's grand father was a
cabinet maker and these are his tools, and he inherited some of them
from his father and grandfather (both cabinet makers). I haven't brought
the wood working tools home yet, but I expect them to have been cared
for just like the lathe.

I feel like a kid in a candy store....

(Take photos of the WW tools and I'll try to help name them for you.
I do not enough of either, but more woodworking than metalworking,
and old hand tools (all trades) have been my focus for years.)

I know that I won't be "running with the big dogs", making the big chips
like many of you with big iron, but I does feel good to "get off the
porch" and be able to make little chips with my little lathe.

(Goodonya, Greg!)

And Greg? Be sure to show poppa your work now and then, and ask his
advice about how to do things. Even with failing mental abilities..it
will make him feel warm and fuzzy to know his tools are actually being
used, and that you think enough of him to ask his advise.

Great idea.

We are all going to get there someday..so treat him like you would be
treated. Its good for our egos, and better when one feels useful.

And take care of your new tools..that lil lathe is capable of making
superb and esquisite things. And pass it along when its your turn.

I often wonder who will get my machines when I no longer need em, or
can use em.

Bwahahaha! "Who" indeed. You mean "What ARMY", don't you? Your little
collection could start up an entire college shop or three, huh,
Gunner?

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming