Michael Kennedy

Default Very unusual. Light causes circut to connect??????!!!!

Hi, I bought an ipod with a broken menu button. Well i thoght I'd just have
to resolder or buy a new switch.. I resoldered the switch with no luck and
then I checked it with an ohm meter and it checked good. Now here is the
Weird part, I was inspecting the board under my desk lamp with it powered on
and the switch started working, well sort of.

If you shine light on part of the board it closes the circut like you pushed
the button down!!!??? There is not an optical sensor that i can see
anywhere near there, and it is away from the switch that doesn't work. It
has some smt resistors in the area and some holes that appear to go all the
way through to a chip on the other side.

So my question is what the heck is going on??? I've never seen anything like
this before. It is not supposed to be light activated..

I'll put some picures up on my web server when I find my digital camera
charger.

- Mike