DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Greg Postma wrote:
DeepDiver wrote:
"Greg Postma" wrote in message

Through the years, the oil has built up and dried out so that
It is just about like Cosmoline... Sticky and gooey. I cleaned
the bed with "Brake Kleen" and it is flawless.

Lucky you on acquiring this treasure!

One word of caution though: I would refrain from using Brake Kleen (or
similar solvents) for cleaning your machines for several reasons:

[ ... ]

2. They will effectively remove *ALL* protective oils, greases, and waxes
leaving your bare metal primed and ready for a massive rust attack. In fact,
in a humid environment you could almost watch the surface rust bloom right
before your eyes.

[ ... ]

Michael, Thanks for your thoughts, I did use a "little" Brake Kleen,(in
my own shop) on a rag to clean the bed. I wanted to see it it was as
good as it looked (it was) and then I oiled the ways with some 3in1 oil
to prevent rust.

3-in-1 oil is not a good choice as it gums up rather quickly.
What I would suggest for the ways is to get some "Vactra No. 2" (you can
get it in one gallon containers from MSC, though I went for a 5-gallon
drum when I got mine, as I have more machines to keep lubed.

The spindle will need something different, and what will depend
on the kind of bearings it has. Some of the earlier versions of this
lathe use bronze sleeve bearings, with an adjustment screw to make up
for wear -- up to a certain point. Newer ones have either ball or
roller bearings (I'm not sure which). Each type of bearing will
determine what is the proper lube for the spindle. I think that
whatever works for the spindle will work well for most other lubrication
points other than the ways, which really need a proper way lube, like
the "Vactra No. 2" suggested above.

I plan on having a machinist freind come over this
weekend to help me clean the lathe properly, lube it up and level it on
a bench I am making out of a piece of bowling alley.

Hopefully, he will bring along the proper lubricants.

I thought it poetic
justice to set up the "Bowling Alley Mechanics" lathe on a piece of
bowling alley.

I agree. Did your father in law have the piece of bowling alley
too, or were you just very lucky in finding that at the right time?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564