DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

394) A sprinkler head. Water from the left-pointing jet
is deflected by a surface which partially intersects the stream,
kicking a weight around the head, which is returned by a spring
which rotates the head a little

This one seems a bit more complex than most that I have seen,
which suggests that it may be an irrigation sprinkler, instead
of a lawn sprinkler.

FWIW, I was told (when I was a kid) that it was invented by
someone who lived in the same small South-Texas town in which I
was living. The town is named Cotulla, and I fear that I don't
remember the name of the supposed inventor.

395) This looks like a device for applying powder/dust style
insecticides to plants. Bellows to the left, reservoir to the
right, with a right-pointing nozzle.

396) Perhaps for casting fat candles? (But I don't see things to
support the wicks in place.

Perhaps for starting plants in small lumps of dirt which can
then be transplanted, dirt and all, to a larger pot after the
dividers are removed?

397) Survival kit fishing setup? The hook loops through the slot to
the right, and the line is wound around the assembly? The point
and barb to the right might be for removing the hook from a
fish's mouth?

398) Could this be what is called a "seed drill". You stick the spike
on the end in the closed (second photo) position into the ground,
and then press the handles together, opening the hole a bit
while a seed falls down the tube from the box into the hole just
produced?

399) A real old soldering "iron" or "copper" It is heated in the
flame of an old fashioned blowtorch (white gas fired, I think),
and the mass of copper carries enough heat to serve the purpose
of heating the workpiece to a temperature which will allow the
solder to flow. This one has fairly recently been cleaned and
tinned, even.

Now to see what others have answered.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564