G&M

Default Query: Legality of Electrical work

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi
I know that electrical work should be carried out by a "competent person"
and I count myself as being competent though I am not a qualified
electrician
.
However how would an insurance company treat work carried out in my home

by
myself?
If there was a fire or person electrocuted even if not directly from the
work that I had done but would the fact that I had done some work count
against me? Would the insurance company still cover a claim?

What about doing some work for a friend - putting in an extra socket,
unpaid. I would be concerned that if he had an electrical fault unrelated

the socket that I had put in his insurance company would refuse to

consider
a claim because I had made an alteration.

I think the "doing work for a friend" will have to disappear, though doing
it yourself under BCO control will carry on in much the same way as has
become the case with gas now.