DeepDiver

"Greg Postma" wrote in message

Through the years, the oil has built up and dried out so that
It is just about like Cosmoline... Sticky and gooey. I cleaned
the bed with "Brake Kleen" and it is flawless.

Lucky you on acquiring this treasure!

One word of caution though: I would refrain from using Brake Kleen (or
similar solvents) for cleaning your machines for several reasons:

1. They might remove or de-gloss (or otherwise damage) any paint on the
machine.
2. They will effectively remove *ALL* protective oils, greases, and waxes
leaving your bare metal primed and ready for a massive rust attack. In fact,
in a humid environment you could almost watch the surface rust bloom right
before your eyes.
3. These solvents are very nasty to breath or absorb though the skin.
4. These solvents are very nasty to the environment as well.

On that last point, don't mistake me for a Greenie nut-job. There are valid
applications for Brake Kleen type solvents (like cleaning brakes and other
friction surfaces). But there's no reason to pollute the environment (and
endanger your health) by using powerful and hazardous solvents for
applications for which they are not intended nor needed. I am particularly
concerned that you might have applied the Brake Kleen in the enclosed
basement (which might be below your FIL's living spaces).

For cleaning of machines and tools, I recommend a 50/50 mixture of kerosene
and mineral spirits. This solvent may not work as fast as Brake Kleen, but
will be just as effective. Plus, it will leave a very light oily surface
residue that will help prevent rust until you can get the metal properly
oiled or otherwise protected. (Note: Because of this oily residue, do not
use this mixture to clean a surface for painting. Use straight mineral
spirits, followed by acetone.) And kerosene, mineral spirits, and even
acetone, are fairly benign solvents.

- Michael