Rus

Rus wrote in
. 204.17:

wrote in
:

I just put a fan in the gable of my barn so my indoor farm animals are
not overheating on hot days. Rather than buying a commercial barn
fan, which is costly and most are too big for my small barn anyhow. I
bought a used fan that is intended to be used as an exhaust fan. I
already had a vent up there, so I just mounted the fan over tbe vent
inside the barn.

However, I dont want this fan running all the time. Only when the
temperature gets about a specific temperature up there at the roof
line. I am assuming it should turn on around 85 degrees. and off at
70 deg.

I have been looking for a way to install a thermostat, but as simply
as possible. To install a standard heating - cooling thermostat like
the types used in a house for furnace and AC, would require a
transformer and quite a bit of wiring. Not that it's out of the
question, but I am thinking there must be an easier way, where the
thing is simply installed in the 120vac line, right next to the fan.
I know they make devices like this for portable and baseboard electric
heaters. But those will be just the opposite of what I want to do.
(it would switch on at the low temp and on at the high - That's
backward). But something similar to that is what I am hoping to find.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I do have an old air conditioner
with a dead compressor. Could something be salvaged from that? I'm
always looking to save a buck if I can salvage something from junk.

Anyone?

Thanks

Mark

For my torpedo shaped kerosene heater, I purchased the optional thermostat
for about $35 at Home Depot. Has male prongs and female receptacle slots
both in one plug. Insert thermostat plug into current outlet. Insert fan
plug into thermostat plug, dial in temp from about 40 to 90.

If this link works, here's a pictu
http://www.tools-
plus.com/masha1210.html

Uses 110v current. No transformer needed.

In the winter, take it off the vent fan and use it on your torpedo heater.

(I'm a poor man. I look for multiple functions for everything I buy.)

//rus//

Forget that. I'm such an idiot. T-stat for a heater works backwards
regarding your needs.

Heater t-stat will turn off your fan when it gets hot ... that's no good.

Sorry.

//rus//