Eric R Snow

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:39:34 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:43:52 -0700, the opaque Eric R Snow
clearly wrote:

I have been thinking about buying a Taig lathe for making small pins
and related parts. I have larger lathes but it seems like they are
always tied up when I need to make a small part. So, I was wondering
how well these lathes work and if they are comparable to larger lathes
if scale is taken into effect.

Eric, I'll bet if you stated your required precision level (0.010mm or
0.0001"), people who own or have worked with Taigs could give you a
better answer. I doubt they're as precise as a watchmaker's lathe.

Whatcha makin'?

Just the odd small pin, or turning down the head on a screw. If I need
to go to tenths the part can be polished. But to be practical it needs
to be able to remove .0005 reliably. I have a Levin watchmakers lathe.
But it is meant for smaller stuff. Like the platinum-iridium alloy
tubes I jad to make. .024 OD, .008 ID. The collets go down to .004.
ERS
-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming