Koz

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I'm thinking of buying this 4 1/2" Wilton:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=426-1010

It's a great (new) price, especially if Enco has a July free shipping
promo. BUT, is the Tradesman still a quality vise, or has it gone
Asian and its quality to hell with it? I know Wilton has lesser
models that are definitely cheap Asian, but how about the Tradesman
specifically?

Thanks,
Bob

Head down to your local Lowes and check out the Wilton vs the cheap
chinese. There IS a difference, even for the 100 buck Wilton they carry
(at least it was about 100 bucks last winter.) Trying both ends of the
scale on the Lowes shelf will give you an idea of where the low-end
chinese vices are lacking.

I got a large Wilton that was super discounted at Lowes (long story that
had nothing to do with the vice itself) and it has been beefy, runs
smoothly (without rattle or poor fit up), and I would recommend it to
anyone. Can't remember the "listed" size but the jaws are 8" wide and
open to at least 8-1/2". You will never regret getting a bigger vice
but you may regret buying a smaller one when that 'weird" project comes up.

Or you can watch local auctions. They come up a lot but you will pay
what they are worth.

Koz