Grant Erwin

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

... that certainly looks Asian to me. ...

I think you're right. In their catalog they have a little "Made in USA"
logo which is NOT displayed for that vise.

Ok, it's made in Asia, and I am not going to pay $428 for a vise, I
wonder if it's one of the "good" Asians?

Bob, the world is FULL of used machinist vises. I have at least 4, and threw
away 2 recently because I couldn't find any takers FREE. I bought my Wilton 4"
vise for $45 at Boeing Surplus and repainted it, and it's FINE. I also have an
old Chinese bench vise I paid $39 for at Price Savers in the mid-'80s and it's
still working fine too, little bit of chipped bondo but I've leaned on it pretty
good with a cheater bar.

Wilton prostituted their name. So did Ridgid. Wilton does still make some
quality stuff, and their Taiwanese stuff may also be good stuff, don't know. But
I would never ever consider paying over $50 for a bench vise. Mill vise? Sure,
bench vise? world's full of 'em.

GWE