Eric R Snow

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:43:00 -0400, tomcas
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:
I need to get the durometer tested on a rubber part. This part just
came in, the customer doesn't know what the durometer is, and he needs
parts friday. I would just order a durometer overnight but the
cheapest I can find is $280.00. The whole job isn't worth it. Since it
may or may not turn into more work, I'm reluctant to spend the money
on it. The customer said I only need to be close, not perfect on the
hardness. Is there a way I can approximate it with a weight and a
properly shaped probe tip?
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

Measuring durometer, even with a meter specifically designed to so, is
very subjective. Different part shapes and thicknesses can almost make
it a guessing game. We use ours only to compare o-rings of the same size
and hardness. The same goes for checking sheet stock.
Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search "rubber hardness". You will
find a rough comparison chart and also a sample kit for about $10.

Thanks everybody for the responses. After posting I looked at ebay and
found two that were reasonable. I ended up getting both. I will order
the sample from McMaster Carr. But I will also be ordering the rubber
sheet at the same time. Now that I live on an island it is hard to
some stuff done fast. Like going to a local rubber supplier and asking
them to measure the sample. That trip would end up being at least 4
hours round trip because of ferries and traffic.
ERS