Mark D. Zacharias

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
kymjets wrote:
I have a problem with 2 of my DVD players. They read CDs fine but
when a DVD is inserted, the DVD player doesn't even register that it
has a disc in the machine. Can anyone help me fix this problem?

(This assumes the discs aren't just dirty or damaged)

Sure. Replace the laser pickups. The parts may well cost more than
the whole players.
Some require fairly extensive adjustments be done after replacement.
This requires a service manual and a decent oscilloscope, and
appropriate training to use them.

The blessing and the curse is that the price of new (el cheapo)
players has dropped so far that replacement is often FAR cheaper than
repair. Unfortunately the quality of the new units being sold are
often sub-par. Pioneer still seems to make a decent player.

Mark Z.

P.S.

I just realized that your next question was likely going to be along the
lines of, "How come it plays CD's but not DVD's if it's the laser?"

Not only possible, but quite common. DVD players made the past several years
have dual-element laser diodes; one side emits a laser frequency more
compatible for CD, CD-R, etc while the other side is more compatible with
DVD's. The DVD section of your 2 players' pickups have deteriorated or
otherwise failed. This is an extremely common problem on DVD players.

Mark Z.