CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote:

I have 2 down spouts from the gutter system that drain into my lawn. I
hear this should be 6' from the house, but there is no practicle and
visibly pleasing way to accomplish this AFAIK?

Cut the downspout a foot shorter, scrape up the sod and topsoil, and then
get a load of fill top build the area up so that it slopes away from the
house (if work a large are, the slope won't be particularly obvious.
Cover with an inch of clay-heavy soil, then replace your topsoil and sod.

I was thinking to bury a pipe along the perimeter of my house to grab
the water from these 2 downspouts and pipe it to where the other 2 and
the sump pump are piped.

Is this acceptable? Anything I should be worried about like water
sitting in the pipe? Any special type of PVC should be used if its to
be buried in dirt?

Foundation drain pipe, and you'll want to make sure it's pitched well,
surrounded by gravel and, ideally surrounded by filter fabric: this will
prevent soil from filling up the pipe. Of coursse, if you do this, you'll
likely end up building up the soil around your home and creating the angle
that I was talking about above so that the water naturally runs away from
the foundation.

Don't just pipe your roof drins around the house: if they clog with sticks
or debris the water could well be forced directly into your basement.

Correcting the grade is IMO, the best way to go. For more info, see:
http://www.ci.redmond.wa.us/insideci...e/pdfs/pg2.pdf

John

I dont have a grade problem. Its graded quite nicely. Its just the
fact that all recommendations say I need to let the water hit the grass
no closer than ~6' from my foundation. And I don't want to run a long
gutter pipe over the grass like they always show in the diagrams, lol.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert