Philip Lewis

"Steve K" wrote in message
This area is about 50 yards long by 25 yards wide. Give or take a few
yards. If I stand at the bottom of the hill, the top of the hill is
maybe 6 or 7 feet above my head.

assuming you are roughly 6 feet tall, that's 13-14 feet rise over 150
feet run. 14 / 150 ~= .09 = 9 percent grade (I think that's how it's done)

"Mark" writes:
Will it be safe? How high will the retaining walls be at each end. I'm
assuming you will need them to avoid cave-ins. Will it effect your resale
value. Any buried utilities you will dig up or cover up on either end?

Aside from these excellent points, you should consider drainage,
topsoil/sod removal/replacement, reseeding, etc.

Do you know how deep bedrock is in your area? tops of hills are
typically worn away by erosion... which means it might be too shallow.

Is your soil know to contain boulders? What are you going to do with
these if you find them?

Personally, I'd use the chance to also put in some sort of water
feature (at the upper end., with a waterfall and such... good place
for any large rocks.

Mind, you need to teach your kids not to drown if you put in a proper
pond (you might even make it big enough in which to swim... or at
least spash around). but once educated they should be able to learn
alot from it (biology, ecology, etc). You also might have to obey some
"attractive nussance" law if you do that though, to protect the kids of
idiot parents who don't teach their children to stay off other folks
property without permission, or who don't watch them like they should if
the child is too immature to obey that rule.

Perhaps you could make an underground/grotto playhouse/shed on the upper
end. (I wonder how much a 10-20 foot section of 8' diameter concrete
pipe is. I almost had this as a kid... it was an old concrete block
pump house near the well... we had a blast in/on it.

Lots of things about which to think. sounds like a fun project though.
Lucky kids!

Good luck to you.

--
be safe.