Lew Hodgett

blueman wrote:
Now that I bought my first router (and a good quality one at that --
DEWALT DW618B3), I need to buy my first set of router bits.

At this stage, I am looking for a starter kit that has a broad
selection of styles and sizes of router bits so that I can start
learning and experimenting.

snip

First things first.

You can't get there from here buying "starter kits".

You buy the bits as you need to do a specific job.

I buy CMT carbide bits because they do the best job for me.

YMMV.

If you must buy some kits, buy a set of carbide rounding over bits, say
from 1/4" to 1/2" a set of straight sided bits from say 1/4" to 3/4" and
at least one (1) either pattern or template bit (Pattern following
bearing at either top or bottom of cutting surface as needed)

I have both.

I've just spent a couple of hundred $ of your money for good bits which
should keep you out of trouble for at least a couple of days.G

Lew