David

blueman wrote:

Now that I bought my first router (and a good quality one at that --
DEWALT DW618B3), I need to buy my first set of router bits.

At this stage, I am looking for a starter kit that has a broad
selection of styles and sizes of router bits so that I can start
learning and experimenting.

I am looking for good *value* in a broad selection kit. Quality is
important to some degree, but my budget is not unlimited and I am
planning on using this to learn. If/when I get better, I will know
what bits I value most and I can invest more in getting those in
higher quality.

I have seen the "Hickory Woodworking RBK1031 24-Piece Carbide Master
Router Bit Set, 1/2" Shank" priced at about $60. Is that a good match?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

For less than $3 per bit, you aren't going to get good bits. I've spent
considerably more than that and still gotten crap. If you REALLY just
want to get your feet wet, then understand the constraints you are
imposing on your purchase. Quality bits like Amana, whiteside, CMT,
Bosch, Freud cost more because they are worth the extra money. They cut
more smoothly, are better balanced (in general), and last longer than a
bargain basement set. I have some cheap Woodline bits that don't cut
cleanly, nor as easily as the same bits from Bosch. Course the price
differential is great. You can get cheap; but you can't get excellent
bits. For learning, I'm not sure you will be well served to have vastly
inferior bits to what you will ultimately want should you stick with
woodworking. OTOH, you'll at least have some different types of bits to
experiment with. No doubt you don't want to pay $30-$100 per bit at
this juncture. Have fun and don't get hurt!

Dave