RoyJ

I agree with your math, but the yield could be as high as 30kpsi
depending on what the alloy is.

Best way to straighten it is to put a long length (100 feet plus) in
tension to a few hundred pounds, then run a screwdriver blade down the
whole length. That will will take out all the small wiggles, leaves it
with some large swirls to deal with. Dead straight is going to be
problematic.

Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...

--OK here's the thing: I can get 8 gauge aluminum ground wire
in coils that are pretty tightly wound; i.e. about 8" dia. What I
*need* are dead straight pieces, maybe 10 to 12ft long. I'm thinking if
I could clamp one end in a bench vise and yank the other end hard
enough I could take the metal past the ...what's the correct term,
elastic limit?, then I could straighten out the waves, kinks, etc, yes?

My SWAG = .013 in^2 x 10000 to 15000 psi = 130 to 200
pounds tension to straighten the wire.

Ned Simmons