Tim Wescott

monkers wrote:

I was asked to do some side work (have full time job) for some people
and was curious how you guys figure your hourly rate. I will be doing
some machine work and welding. Im curious how to figure in the amount
of electric used, welding rod/wire/75-25 gas, grinding wheels, wire
brushes, etc.... I dont want to rape anyone, but I dont want to work
for free. Im in the upstate NY area (2 1/2 hours from NYC). Any
guidlines you guys could throw my way would really help. Thanks,
Craig

For yourself, take the amount you make working for someone else and
double it. That accounts for the roof over your head, the benefits, the
nonbillable time you spend working (phone calls, estimating, running to
the bank, etc.).

For your equipment take the amount it's worth and divide by 20000 (2000
working hours in a year, more or less, and a 10% annual rate on the
loans you'd have to have if you bought it all on time).

If welding is like electronics engineering that should work out to about
3x as much as you make per hour working for someone else.

Or, if you're really, really good just charge them up the wazoo and know
you're worth it 'cause no one else can solve their problem.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com